Getting things straight

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I have been asked a lot of questions regarding my surgery, insurance issues, etc, so I thought that I would put all of the information that I have (as of today) within 1 document.

1) AHCCCS has denied coverage for my surgery based on my husband's and my combined income. (11/9/10)

2) I reapplied for AHCCCS on 11/9/10 and await an interview with them regarding my application.

3) If AHCCCS is "pending", St. Joe's will go ahead with my surgery without any hospital fees up front.

4) If AHCCCS denies me again, I will be responsible for the entire hospital bill, which is
$105, 184. If I can pay in 30 days (from my surgery date) I receive a 30% discount, which leaves me with a bill of $73,648.80.

5) I have been unable to get any form of private insurance (think Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Aetna, etc) due to the Chiari Malformation and other conditions from which I suffer from.

6) Amazing Grace Church is handling the funds because my own local congregation did not want to help. A friend of mine is good friends with the pastor at Amazing Grace and they graciously offered to help with the 501(c)3. The funds are not being sent directly to the church, because it is located in downtown Phoenix and the mailbox is not as secure. Because of this, any funds are being sent directly to the pastor's personal address.

I hope that this brings some clarity to my situation.